29.7.13
























I have a really great downstairs neighbor - she asks good questions, she listens carefully in our conversations, she says yes to last minute dinner invites when I run into her at the park . . .

She checked in on me when we got home from our trip last week.  "How was it?" she asked me over a cup of tea.  So we talked.  I told her how beautiful it had been - about the friends we spent time with, the conversations we had, about my family and our time at the river house.

And I told her about that heart-ache that I get every time I leave a visit with my friends and family in another country - because there is never enough time; there are always conversations that are left incomplete (and those are better than the ones that were not even started),  always nieces or nephews that I didn't get enough time to snuggle with . . .  always coffees that had to end too soon.

(She gets it.  My neighbor has friends all over the world; she has to say goodbye a lot too)

Then, in the course of our conversation, I remembered:
This is why my heart longs for eternity.
It won't always be this way.

9 comments:

  1. I have known this ache, something I take for granted here. Thank you, Naomi, for reminding me to give thanks this morning. And thank you for the words encouraging and kind words you left with me the other day. It's lovely to meet you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the extra "words" included. It's early here. ;)

      Delete
    2. hey hey! you came by!

      sheesh. I loved your blog. I think I read all of your entries (and lingered over all of your pictures)

      please keep writing . . . I'll keep reading :)

      Delete
  2. I kind if avoided this post because what my heart needs right now is tender, peaceful, luxuuuuuurious friendship - and it's not there much. Not because I don't know lovely amazing women, but because of time. Eternity is the luxury of time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. moan. I know.

      (I think I owe you an email)

      Delete
    2. I'll say you do, just because I'd love to hear from you ;). I promise that when you send it, I will carve out a block of time, pull out my Naomi challis, and luxuriate over it.

      Delete
  3. I love this picture because I have some of these same purple flowers growing on my balcony here in Turkey. I am from the states and was so excited to find them here because they reminded me of home and my grandmother, who had them at her house. Do you know what they are called? I found your blog through Cup of Jo and am looking forward to reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have NO idea what they are, but I love them too! They remind me a bit of clover flowers . . .

      If you were my neighbor I would come over often and pick them off your balcony! :)

      Delete